Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Leaky Cauldron  ~  The Person Below Me

celisnebula
Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:50 pm Reply with quote
God yes, yes, YES! I feel like such a Scrooge too. I just want it to be done and over with so I can go back to life, cause it's just been too stressful.

Bah humbug!

The Dark Materials trilogy (the Golden Compass books) is okay, it was the greatest three books I've ever read and my kid was so bored with the first book he never finished it. The movie, however, does look interesting, though I'll probably wait until it comes out on video.

I've actually been avoiding Tv and the internet the last couple of weeks - don't want my crabby, stressed out, snotty mood to infect others.

The person below me is going on vacation.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MaddyRiddle
Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:22 am Reply with quote
False. I'm not going anywhere. Not that I matter. I really like staying at home.

The person below me celebrates more than one thing in December.

wonga
Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:11 am Reply with quote
True; a close friend's birthday is on the 25th and she just got engaged. What to buy what to buy!? Aaargh! Christmas is far too stressful!

Not going anywhere, I only get Christmas day off work.

The person below me has had more than a little trouble buying gifts.

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:23 pm Reply with quote
True. Not only have I been unable to leave the house for very long for the past two weeks due to illness (which is finally going away, thank goodness), but I still can't figure out what to get for my brother's girlfriend, who I still don't really know all that well because they live in Thunder Bay and I'm in Sault Ste. Marie—for those who aren't familiar with the geography, that's a bit over 600 km between the two. I know I managed to find something she liked last year, but I'd rather not get her sudoku puzzles two years in a row—she's probably already got any sudoku book that I could find here anyway, since we (regrettably) don't really have any good book shops here.

My mother and three of my friends have birthdays in December—all fairly close to Christmas, too. Suffice it to say that it's usually a pretty busy time. Smile

No travel plans for the holidays this year, though apparently one of my cousins from Manitoba might make it over here, so it'll be great to see him again.

The person below me has gone out walking or driving to see people's Christmas light displays. (There are always lots of houses in the Sault that have light displays that just might rival Clark Griswold's in "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation"; I'd hate to have their power bills for December, but they're always pretty to look at.)

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Nope. Both me and the brat are somewhat in a bah humbug mood lately (since my Mum lives in Vegas, my dad and his new wife aren't doing Christmas, and neither is my sister or her hubby). We haven't even put up Christmas stuff yet, and the rate we're going, I doubt we will.

I did, however, by a ham for Christmas supper - I figure we can bake it, and then have ham sandwiches and other easy finger food things. And then we'll probably go to the movies, either to see Sweeny Todd (I wanna see), Alvan and the Chipmunks (which the brat wants to see for a strange reason), or something else.

For your brother's girlfriend... you can't go wrong with like a gift cert to like Victoria's secret or something like that. Or check online. I did almost 85% of my shopping online for Christmas this year, and they arrived already wrapped, which is a blessing too.

The person below me likes the Trans Siberian Orchestra.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Overhill
Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 29 Mar 2006 Posts: 263 Location: Central Oregon, near a wyer, but the dragons are downstairs....
Happy New Year, everyone!

I can't say that I've heard the Trans Siberian Orchestra, but I've heard OF them, and they're suppose to be really good.

I work retail, and I got Christmas Day off, plus a lot of overtime! I have today off because I fell on black ice at night and bruised my knee, so the doc said stay off for three days, and gave me my excuse note for the time off! Thankfully one of my co-workers switched two days with me, so I won't be out, and I have sick leave for the first day.

Hope you're feeling well, Pennfana.

And I had a good Christmas, what with all three girls and hubby home. I felt guilty about not sending something nice to mom-in-law, but I also have her son and her only three granddaughters who could have done something for her. He and the twins went to visit her after Christmas, and so here I am, I get the computer, and I have time to visit here. Whoowee!!!!!

The person below me had a nice New Year's Eve.

wonga
Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:51 am Reply with quote
Hmmm, true/false. I had to work which was really busy (I'm a trainee chef in a pub) and because I'm new and was by myself I had a bit of a breakdown afterwards but I got over it and ended up back at the pub with some friends, went back to their place and that's where it got interesting. Three of us in a lumpy, double sofa bed (me in the middle, on a boiling hot night) Uuurgh! I ended up sleeping on the floor. I have bite marks (No idea who bit me!), a busted lip (Not sure how that happened either...) and a male friend has shaved legs. Twisted Evil Also had to work the next morning. Confused

Lapped around a bit and looked at some Christmas lights nothing much.

This is the first I have heard of the Trans Siberian Orchestra.

The person below me has already failed in their new year's resolutions.

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:12 pm Reply with quote
False—you can't fail what you don't make! Very Happy That doesn't mean that I don't have goals for this year, though; I just didn't wait for New Year's Eve to set them, and none of them are traditional things like giving up smoking (I never started) or losing weight (even if I am somewhat unfashionably large, I take pretty good care of myself already and I have several Issues with weight-loss diets anyway).

Wonga, sounds like you had a really interesting night. I hope you heal quickly!

Overhill, I'm feeling much better lately, thanks. I've just got a lingering cough that's irritating the heck out of me, but otherwise I've been given the all-clear to continue on as usual. Smile

My New Year's Eve was pretty good—I spent it watching "The Lord of the Rings" with my mom, my brother and his girlfriend. I had at least one of my cats on my lap most of the evening, and my dad even stopped by with coffee shortly before midnight. All in all, not a bad way to ring in the new year. Smile

The person below me wants to try something new this year.

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:45 am Reply with quote
I'm going to try and finish my first ever fanfiction. I used to write stuff back in highschool for a friend but never actually finished or posted stuff until now. The story I'm working on now, is actually for my friend, since I miss her being in another country and all.

Okay: The second big new thing I'm trying is... I'm gonna try and run a school production with 70 plus students all ranging from years 7-12. Rolling Eyes WTF am I thinking? Feeling a bit panicked about the whole situation.

Lucky I have fanfic to help me unwind.

Umm... the person below me wishes they could change one major scene and one major scene only in any of the movies.
memory
Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I wish I could change a lot of major scenes in the movies, not only one!
Personally, I don't like the HP movies. My husband, who is an animation director, watches them only to check special effects. My dislike is so strong that I remember very little parts of them... and my pen name is Memory!

OK. Stop criticizing. Hello to everybody! It's good to see so many well known names still here. My English, as you can see, hasn't improved too much in the meantime (I am still Italian). But in any case, I'm posting my very first story! Very Happy
(Thank you again, Pennfana and Overhill!)

I will check again the Forum to see if somebody is around. It seems a pretty lazy period, after all that Christmas excitement...

The person below me is anxiously waiting for a vacation again.
Pennfana
Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Anxiously? No, but I'm heading up to Thunder Bay for the last full week of March to visit my brother and some friends up there, and I'm quite looking forward to it.

Memory, congratulations on posting your story—I knew you could do it! Very Happy

I don't have any huge complaints for any of the movies; when I see a movie based on a book, I try to look at it as another way of telling the story; there are things in books that just don't translate well to movies, just as there are things in movies that don't translate well to books. As long as the important parts of the story are there, and as long as the story is well-told by the people involved in making the film, then I honestly don't mind if the movie isn't exactly like the book.

The person below me knows where the word "fhqwhgads" comes from.

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:00 am Reply with quote
Joined: 29 Mar 2006 Posts: 263 Location: Central Oregon, near a wyer, but the dragons are downstairs....
I have no idea what "fhqwhgads" means, or where it's from!

Congratulations, memory! I hope that the other things we've talked about are improving.

And good luck, darkdesire. It's really exciting when you see your first piece on the web! I hope that the school production turned out well.

I wish that Draco and Pansy had been included in the Yule Ball scene. I'm glad that they had the extra feature, showing the students learning how to dance, but I wish that the movie showed them actually dancing.

I'm procrastinating a lot of stuff right now, but I am getting to my job on time or earlier. And now I'll go down and get some laundry folded.

The person below me shoveled snow this week.

pipedreamer
Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Nope! But we have had gale force winds in the north east of England which cut our power for an hour - a whole hour of customers unable to badger me! Bliss Rolling Eyes

I'm still a fan of His Dark Materials, and I actually liked the film - mostly because it was visually stunning - I love the carriage that Mrs Coulter and Lyra ride to their london flat. I was kind of resigned at it being aimed more towards the younger age group than my own (I'm 25), but I felt it succeeded in not having the most HIDEOUS scripting, like IMHO the updated Lion, Witch & Wardrobe, which personally I detested.

The person below me speaks more than one language.....

memory
Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:53 pm Reply with quote
True. I can speak Italian, Spanish, French and Latin (currently I am being used as a living dictionary by my daughter. Should anybody need a Latin translation, I'm available). And please don't forget my wonderful English! Very Happy

OK, the sad truth... I admit that the other languages are far easier for an Italian.
But you can see that I don't give up and I continue posting my chaotic messages for the joy (and the desperation) of the unfortunate ones "below me".

However, the question about languages was already posed months ago, before DH, when HP world was more innocent and happy. This is why I know that Pennfana speaks a great Italian, although she is Canadian.

(Thanks, by the way, Pennfana and Overhill - you have always encouraged me, and I wrote in the prologue of my story that it's your fault if it has been posted).

And now, may I ask the friendly visitors of this site if there is somebody who could help me? I need a young English woman with knowledge of English cooking. I'm writing a story in which Hermione needs to cook, but I don't know what an English teenager would cook. To be more precise, I don't even know what English people would like to have in their evening meals! Temptation to use pasta is very strong, but, as I write to improve my knowledge (of English and English life), I would sincerely be grateful to receive information. (Pipedreamer, you could be that one!)

If there is anybody willing to help, could they please let me know?
Thank you so much!

The person below me loves Italian food...

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:09 am Reply with quote
I've had very little Italian food, but I do like spaghetti with meat sauce!

I don't know what the English have for dinner; I just know what my family has when we do eat together.

Where have you posted your story, memory? Have you finished and posted, darkdesire? I've been slack on reading my usual web-sites, due to work and worry and I've been posting at the role playing forum "Silent Twilight" http://z7.invisionfree.com/Silent_Twilight/index.php?

(My character is Richard Goodfellow, no surprise there.)

I'm behind on my stories. I did come up with a short one, which I will be posting at Lumos http://lumos.sycophanthex.com/viewuser.php?uid=10493

and fanfiction.net when I'm satisified with it. The tentative title is "To Envy Alice".

And to the U.S. posters, remember to set your clocks for Daylight Savings Time Sat. night.

The person below me likes to bake.