Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Common Room  ~  OMG I have writer's block! Suggestions?

What do you do when you have Writer's Block?

It NEVER happens to me.  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

I just don't write until it passes  
14%
  [ 1 ]  14%

I turn to one of my tried and true methods.  
57%
  [ 4 ]  57%

I curl up in a helpless ball and cry.  
28%
  [ 2 ]  28%

Total Votes : 7
LadyWhitehart
Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:37 pm Reply with quote
So many of us have been there... sitting down at the computer-- the work is done, the kids (if you have any) are finally in bed at last time to write out something other than bills! Then something terrible happens; we end up staring at the screen for what seems like hours and absolutely not one darn thing happens. Those stupid plot bunnies that had been tap dancing on your braincells all day have all of a sudden vanished like a fart in the wind. Writer's block can happen to both the best and least of writers. It really sucks, but it can be overcome.

I've taken to writing drabbles. I have a jar with prompts and another with characters. Hey it works for me. What do you do when it happens to you?

Vesera Paens
Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:49 am Reply with quote
It depends on when and what I'm writing.

If I'm trying to write a lot in a short amount of time (think NaNoWriMo, but I've done other marathon-style writing as well at other times), I generally just write. Some of the stuff I've written this way is hilarious, since I tend to let myself be silly. Most of it then has to be cut, but it does help me get to the next part.

Other things I've done:

~Talked on the phone with someone and brainstorm verbally. Tossing ideas back and forth with fellow writers sometimes is really the trick.

~Take a notebook to a different place and brainstorm there. Usually a restaurant or coffee place.

I've also found that it helps to write every day. When I write on the same story every day, what seems to happen is that eventually I start dreaming about the story, or I wake up with new ideas for future events in the story. Granted, I don't do this as often as I should, but it generally works.
Overhill
Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:06 am Reply with quote
Joined: 29 Mar 2006 Posts: 263 Location: Central Oregon, near a wyer, but the dragons are downstairs....
I don't have time to have writer's block - I have to go do something else, or I can't go on the computer (my kids won't let me), so I voted #2.

celisnebula
Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I voted for the last option, cause well, that's what it makes me want to do. Most of the time I get writer's block, then real life intrudes, and I can't get back into the swing of things for a long time.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pennfana
Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:45 am Reply with quote
I'll usually just write something down—anything, regardless of whether it has anything to do with what I want to work on—and see where this particular arrangement of words takes me. Some of my best work is the result of just letting my mind wander.

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I tend to write when I have an idea. Very seldomly do I sit down to start writing and just, well, write. So, I guess I deal with writer's block by doing something else instead, and don't even notice it. Then again, it takes me over a year to write a story Wink.
Firewhisky
Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:48 am Reply with quote
One of my bizarre (but tried and true) methods: A glass of red wine combined with a favorite movie scene that I skip to and zoom in on, on my computer. The wine is relaxing and keeps me from editing until it's done and the movie scene immerses me in whatever emotion or situation I've chosen.

I also do a word quota and reward myself with a meal/bathroom break or... surprisingly... a movie! Rolling Eyes It's not really a reward, but I tell myself it is b/c I don't handle overt discipline very well.

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:27 pm Reply with quote
When I get writer's block, I force myself to write. I get an empty page in front of me and just start writing down complete drivel. After a page or two I erase it and start on my next horrible idea and write and write whatever comes to mind on the story I'm trying to do. After 3-4 cycles of this I usually have a good idea of where I don't want the story to go, which gives me an idea of where I do want it to go, and then I can actually do some real writing... I suppose it's sort of a process of elimination. Also, sometimes when you're writing down whatever comes to mind, some really good stuff comes out and surprises you!

A bit strange, but that's my method, I guess!