Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Deathy Hallows Open Discussion  ~  Relieved

just me
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:36 am Reply with quote
[/quote]If you sail on the good Snape ship you should definitely read book 7. His death is shown in the best possible light and JKR reveals / confirms more about the character's background that will hopefully inspire new fics.[/quote]

Thanks for your nice words Smile

I never doubted Snape was a good guy, not even after HBP. I just knew he was on the side of the Light although things looked very dark for a moment...

You are hopefully right about the new fics, but nonetheless I think Snape should have survived the war... as so many other should have as well!
Owlbait
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Sigh. I'm very happy we didn't get evil!Snape, and also that we didn't get spotless!Snape - the man was not nice. I'm torn between being sad that his body didn't get some kind of ceremony but I suppose I should be glad of the wiggle room it gives us. A flawed and human Dumbledore, that's pretty good too.

i'm disappointed that Percy just came running in like that at the last moment, he could have stood a bit more pain first.

I thought Ginny should get more play.

What was with Draco? He seemed to want to help the trio, you can't make me believe he wasn't certain that was Granger! He still seemed loyal to Voldemort at the end though.

The nonsense with the elder wand and it's owner, pfeh.

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Owlbait wrote:

What was with Draco? He seemed to want to help the trio, you can't make me believe he wasn't certain that was Granger! He still seemed loyal to Voldemort at the end though.

The nonsense with the elder wand and it's owner, pfeh.

I think, at this point in time, Draco was so utterly scared shitless, and his parents so cowed, that they were all just trying to stay alive. His parents had backed the wrong (and so clearly deranged) horse, and yet, I think when he had a small hope that by not identifying them when Greyback captured them, perhaps Harry would be able to wiggle out and save everything.

The wand was a little convoluted, and a bit like grasping at straws.

I get the whole dominance idea... the wand belongs to the wizard who is most dominate, hence if a wizard is killed (or is some case taken by force) then that wand belongs to the dominate wizard. Draco took the wand from Dumbledore on the tower - Elder wand considers Draco the owner... Harry took Draco's main wand, so that means any wands of Draco's are not Harry's because of Harry's dominance.

Voldemort didn't understand that - in his mind, dominance only came from death - hence in his mind, the wand should have been Snape's because Snape killed Dumbledore (although it wasn't really like that).

Still --- it was a really shirty way to kill Snape.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Orl
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, Snape's death was so pointless and sad. He didn't die saving Harry like I thought he would. He died over a stupid wand? Horrible.

yes, I think it was an anticlimax and the reason to stay at the light side really onedimensional (as somebody mentioned above, I think Smile. What made him my favourite character was that he seemed to be the most complex. (But I'm glad that AD got his share of complexity in the end!)

I also think he would have hated that one of Harry Potters children was named after him - even if it was only the second name... Wink

What I'm missing in this threat up to now is: CONGRATULATIONS TO THE ONES WHO GOT IT RIGHT!!!!!!!!! I had a feeling of reading a summary of many fanfics and discussions on SH when HP viewed Snapes memories!

I have one question -not concerning Snape, sorry Smile: I seem to have missed how Neville got into the possession of Griffindors sword. My brain was probably foggy after so many hours of reading... I thought Griphok had it. What am I missing out???
celisnebula
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I think he pulled it from the hat, like Harry did.

Could be wrong there...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Orl
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:20 pm Reply with quote
just checked it again.You're right Smile
Orl
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why the threesome never thought about what the seventh horcrux might be...
sombre
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I just thought it was fabulous. I am a little sad that snape died...but at least he was redeemed as a hero and I think its cool that harry named one of his kids albus severus. I thought it was really clever to kill off harry then not kill him off!! I was shaking and crying for ages after I finished it.

but the whole thing about there being something important about harry having his mums eyes?? whats that bout?? also id there anything about what happened to Luna....? I borrowed a friends copy to read and had to give it back so i cant go back and check. mine doesnt arrive till tomorrow.....
Severe Drought
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:27 am Reply with quote
I was actually quite disappointed in the book - C'mon, blaming Hermione' caution for wandering around in the woods *for months at a time* and not going directly to Godric's Hollow??? Like she has ever been able to instill a bit of sense in Harry's head ever before? There's only two scenes in which Snape actually appears... And then when Harry sees the pensieve he has no reaction, and when he goes to face Voldemort - there is no inspiration from Snape's years of sacrifice. Bah!
catkasimir
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:36 am Reply with quote
Personally,

I was a little disappointed to see Severus die. It was the easy way out of the Harry-Snape hatred for Rowling.
IŽd have preferred him staying alive and becoming kind of an ersatz godfather to him. He was the best friend of Lily for years! (And I would have liked to see if he marries and becomes a father, too, after 19 years.)

Idea On the other hand, how could Sev have convinced Harry his memories were true, if not by dying first?

Cat
wonga
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:32 am Reply with quote
I'm no Trelawny (maybe that's a good thing!) but I sense a lot of dissatisfied Snape fans.

Yes, JKR made him good-- now we can stick it to those non-believers-- but the circumstances are somewhat iffy/unsatisfying/whatever you want.

It's odd really the changes; Snape became a sort of devoted, paper cut-out and Dumbledore started sprouting naughtyness from his tufted ears. I always liked Snape because I identified with the nasty, self-loathing, snarky bastard and now I'm Dumbledead's (Sorry whoever I stole that from. It amuses me greatly!) woman. Meh.

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:47 am Reply with quote
A couple of things that made me go "Wha...?"

Snape's Patronus was a DOE? (Because James' was a stag and the doe somehow represents Lily?) And HE made fun of TONK'S Patronus in HBP??? *snort*

And isn't it just typical...Snape and Dumbledore had similarities with the whole blood purity - follow a megalomaniac - love for a woman saved them stuff. BUT... Snape actually tried to save Lily, while Dumbledore may have killed his own sister (but was too cowardly, even in death, to want to know who cast the Killing Curse that actually hit her). YET...Dumbledore is the most beloved wizard around. Snape, however, is the one who gets called a COWARD in HBP and DH. (And what was up with that flying bat thing?)

memory
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Wonga, you are terribly right!

Given my position of isolation in a world of (un)happy DH readers, a lot of friends from every English speaking country (or who have simply found the English book before me) are trying to "comfort" me sending me a lot of terrified, horrified, anguished, desperate. etc. etc. reviews.

From what I can see, very few ones have enjoyed THIS end of the saga.
Unfortunately, I still can't find a copy to read (which is absurd in a city like Rome!), so I can't give my contribution to the discussion, but only watch in hopelessness.

However, if these are the facts, I cannot help but agree with the dissatisfied readers and, believe me, I'm very sorry for that. I was expecting fireworks from this last book, considering what Rowling herself had announced! ("this is the best HP book I've written"... "happy to end the story this way"... etc etc on her site - sorry, translated directly from the Italian version, sometimes I'm lazy and I prefer to read in my own language).

I suppose that we Snape's lovers were hoping in something different for a character who had always been represented under an ambiguous light... Finally his turn to shine!

Should Rowling have considered this? Perhaps her choices are the result of a great inner strength, the one that says "I know I'm going to be hated for that, but this is my story and it must be written this way."

Humble consideration: I believe anyway that Rowling cannot consider her characters as "hers" any longer. Her success has incredibly changed her position in a "marginal" one, as more and more people will try to reverse the fate of the ones she has sacrificed.

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I stayed away from all the hoopla. I didn't search out the supposed correct stolen book online. I read it from end to end (back to front to back, yeah, had to know first) and was sorely disappointed.

First, this is not a children's book. I, like Jackie, was in tears through so much of the book. How DARE she kill Hedwig like that and then mention it SIX MORE TIMES?! And Dobby? That was another senseless death. But the scene where they are trying to get the amulet from Umbridge was the worst. They were giving the Kiss to anyone not of pure blood. Awful.

Snape's death scene was dramatic. Yes, it was senseless like 90% of the deaths. It was the chapter afterwards that looked like she had gone around the net and pulled up a bunch of fanfics and threw them together to make the man's history. He knew Lily when she was a child? I just... I don't get it.

Oh, the fan service in this book. Making Remus' name on Potterwatch! (barf) was Romulus. Duh. Kingsley was Royal. *rolls eyes* That entire chapter was nothing but fan service.

I wouldn't let any child under the age of fourteen read this book unless he or she is mentally ready for it. For adults to be confused and upset about what happens, what about children? I just... *shakes head*
Orl
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It was the chapter afterwards that looked like she had gone around the net and pulled up a bunch of fanfics and threw them together to make the man's history. He knew Lily when she was a child? I just... I don't get it.

Jynx, I agree with most of what you said!

Although I didn't think the Snapes death-scene was very dramatic. If I remember right JR said herself in an interview, that after the murder of AD the hatred between HP and Snape would become much more personal. I expected AT LEAST a last confrontation between the two -where they actually speak to each other, I mean.

In all the books before Snape was very eloquent. Well, he had to be as a spy to wriggle out of many tight situations, I guess. The sentences he got in this book boiled down to two: "Let me fetch Potter, please" and "I don't know, my Lord", repeated several times in more or less the same manner. Somebody like Goyle saying that: OK! But Snape!?

And a doe!? Well...