Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Keepers (PI Accredited)  ~  Accredited Beta Available

MMADfan
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Whether you require only proofreading or more extensive comments on style, flow, structure, etc., I would be happy to take a look at your fic. PM me through the Lumos Archive or email me. You can also respond to this post -- but I may not see the post right away, so emailing me is best.

I have included a lot of information so you can tell whether I might be an appropriate beta reader for your story.

Penname: MMADfan
PI:7311261659
Email: mmadfan -at- yahoo.com (insert the "at" symbol -- I like to cut down on spam)

Beta experience: a little
Editing/Proofreading experience: decades
Writing experience: Daily extensive nonfiction writing in my work; current HP fanfiction is "Resolving a Misunderstanding," located on SH Mage/Lumos and at The Petulant Poetess

Ratings: G - NC-17 / K - MA
Ships: Any, but see notes below for caveats
Categories/Genres: Any, but see notes below
Dislikes: Stories in which Albus Dumbledore is evil (flawed and human is fine)

Strengths as beta reader: Sentence structure, story flow, consistency, characterization; I can also do "Brit-pick-lite."
Weaknesses: If it's obvious that you haven't used a spell-checker or attempted to proofread your chapter before submitting it, I lose patience and will not finish reading it; on the other hand, if you send me a note explaining what your difficulties are in proofreading your own work (you're not a native English speaker, for example, or you have a disability of some kind), I make allowances.

Notes:
Although I will beta slash, it is not a preferred genre, and if it's quite graphic, I may not be the best beta for you, particularly if you want help with slashy scenes.

Any fic that is unrelentingly dark and dismal, I will not read. Some drama or angst is fine -- I don't mind if you put your characters through a psychological wringer as long as there is relief! On a related note, explicit , lengthy torture scenes are too difficult for me to read, and I recommend you find someone else for such a fic. I also will not beta rape-as-sex fics, although I will beta rape-as-violence fics, provided it's not presented so explicitly as to rise to a torture scene.

I will beta stories that contain consensual incestuous relationships, but not parent-child or related guardian-child (e.g., aunt - nephew) incest stories, unless it is done as a plot point for a story about abuse, and then only if the activities are not explicitly described.

Animagus relations don't bother me, and if your story has a "squick" warning, I might beta it after knowing what the warning is for. (I don't usually mind squick.)

Most of my reading has been in SSHG and ADMM ships, although I enjoy other ships involving SS, AD, MM, RL, BW, adult-HG -- though not all at the same time (that could be interesting, however!). I also like some odd, unexpected pairings. I don't tend to read any ships involving the students while they're students. Stories with no romantic ships are fine, too. I like friendship and mentoriing fics, for example.

I agree to beta read on a chapter-by-chapter basis, and I will accept up to three chapters or 9,000 words at a time, which ever is greater. If a single chapter is longer than 5,000 words, I reserve the right to beta the first half of the chapter, send you my feedback, and have you resubmit the whole chapter again with changes and edits to the entire chapter. (This way, if there are repeated instances of the same issues, you can go through and address them in the whole chapter.)

I am a pretty nice and helpful editor, I think, but I am thorough. Just let me know what level of beta-reading you would like.

prefer not to beta stories that focus on and feature HP, RW, and HG as students. I also prefer not to beta stories that focus on a student-student pairing. There are exceptions, but I reserve the right not to beta any story that focuses on the "Trio" or on a student-student pairing. (If they merely appear in the story, that's fine.)

I can do limited Brit-picking, having lived in the UK and having read a lot of English lit for over 35 years, and I own only the British versions of the HP books, but I am not British, so I don't feel I can say I'm a Brit-picker.

I have a lot of experience reading, editing, and commenting on the work of others, and I have a moderate amount of beta-reading experience.

I expect that any writer who requests me to beta-read their story has already proofread it to make sure that every sentence ends with a period, question mark, or exclamation point, and that the piece has been spell-checked. Let me know if there are any specific weaknesses you have that you want help with and how extensive you want me to critique the content of the fic as opposed to just its readability.

Let me know in advance if your fic is not a standard narrative; for example, if it is a poem or a play rather than prose. I will not beta MSTs or RPG scripts that have been turned into fics.

I prefer canon-compliant stories, but I am happy to read AU fics if they fit within the general parameters of the HP universe. In fact, I like a lot of the fics in which Dumbledore never died at the end of HBP, as well as fics that disregard HBP altogether.

Last edited by MMADfan on Tue May 22, 2007 5:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Crazed88
Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:51 am Reply with quote
You sound perfect, I just posted this in the Seeker section but I'll post it here and if you're interested let me know.

Name: Amanda
Email: boogledee@hotmail.com
Story title: Harry Potter and the Great Game-a-thon
Summary: A parody of the plot lines used in the Potter-verse.
Rating: PG
Category/Genres: Comedy
Ship: N/A
Warnings: Induces bouts of laughter - read at own peril

The beta will need to be a perfectionist - I do a pretty good job myself but after reading my own work a hundred times you need an outsider to look it over. You'll just need to check for any inconsistancies in the plot (make sure the loose ends are all tied up) and any spelling mistakes I may have missed. Email me, put 'beta' in the subject. Thanks!
skywise
Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:56 am Reply with quote
I've posted a request in the seeker forum for a beta but thought I'd jump in here and ask you directly.

I'm a first time author who is writing a Sirius/Hermione fic. It won't be too dark - just some PTSD on Sirius' part from his days in Azkaban and from his youth. I don't *think* it will be too heavy - I don't mean it to be!

My main problem is punctuation - I'm never sure when to use commas/semi colons, etc so any help you could give on that front would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not *precious* about my writing and will gratefully acept any criticisms offered.

A brief summary is as follows :

Name: Alison (skywise)
Email: skywise012000@yahoo.com
Story title: Tread Softly Upon My Dreams
Summary: Hermione & Sirius fall for each other when she tries to help him overcome his PTSD
Rating: Probably L for later chapters when he remembers what he went through and some rumpy-pumpy (oo er missus)
Category/Genres: Romance
Ship: Sirius/Hermione
Warnings: see rating above

I'd be really grateful if you can spare me the time to proof read and comment on my pathetic little attempt at writing (LOL)

Ali
MMADfan
Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to let you know that I didn't notice the replies to my initial post (eep!) and apologize for letting the replies go unanswered. Best to email me at the yahoo address I put in my profile, above. I'm currently beta'ing a couple fics, but might be able to take on another one soon.