Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Library  ~  Did Lily know about Remus?

VelvetMouse
Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:21 am Reply with quote
Has it been established yet whether or not Lily knew what Remus's "furry little problem" really was?

In all fic I've read, it's been assumed that she does know - either finding out in her last year at school (presumeably after she and James began dating), or at least before Harry was born.

I'm not recalling anything one way or the other in canon regarding this, though. I don't remember either Remus or Sirius mentioning to Harry anything regarding Lily - just the fact that James, Sirius and Peter had figured it out and become animagi, etc... Since that's all pre-Lily (in their boy-centric little world), it doesn't tell us anything about whether or not she knew...
Mathstarlette
Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:33 am Reply with quote
Joined: 03 Mar 2006 Posts: 33 Location: out of my mind, leave a message at the beep
Well, I would assume that the only ones who know about Remus were the guys, but at the same time, that would mean that Lily didn't know that James was animagi and I can't see him keeping something that big from her. But at the same time I've always seen Lily as someone who wasn't quite in the know.

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:23 am Reply with quote
As far as I can tell from canon, the only people who knew that Remus was a werewolf were Remus's parents, Dumbledore, Sirius, James, Peter and then later Snape. There is no mention of whether any of the Professors knew (though I suppose McGonagall would have know as Remus was missing from her house wing once a month), and I doubt the rest of the students would've known.

However, if you take the movies to be canon (some people do not) Remus says quite plainly to Harry that Lily was a remarkable woman who could see the good in a person when others could not. I take that to mean he was inferring that she knew about his condition, but did not care because she believed he was a good person regardless of his condition.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LadyWhitehart
Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I think at some point it did become common knowledge. By the time we meet Remus in PoA, it's obvious that he has been unemployed or at least underemployed for quite some time. How long can someone keep a condition like that a secret?

daedalus
Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:43 pm Reply with quote
celisnebula wrote:
As far as I can tell from canon, the only people who knew that Remus was a werewolf were Remus's parents, Dumbledore, Sirius, James, Peter and then later Snape. There is no mention of whether any of the Professors knew (though I suppose McGonagall would have know as Remus was missing from her house wing once a month), and I doubt the rest of the students would've known.

Poppy Pomfrey must have known, too. She must have had to take care of him after his transformations...