Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Technique  ~  portraits

tripperfunster
Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Oh, oh, I have a question! (for all artists)

When I have done any reading about drawing faces, generally it is recomended that you sketch out the face with the old, circle with the cross through it and use that as your framework.

Does anyone really do that?? I mean, I've done it if I have more than two people in the pic, so that they don't end up completely out of proportion, but do you portrait artists do that each time to each face?

I usually start with the left eyebrow (my right) and draw from there. (Don't know why, that's just how it has developed.)

TIA
Tripp
pigwig
Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:08 pm Reply with quote
(First of all, don't yell at me for being gone so long... I moved across the country. I promise to start illustrating again.)

I generally only use the circle/cross method if I'm drawing a face at an angle, or if there's more than one person in the picture. I also use it when I'm first designing a character and trying to decide on their individual proportions.

However...

I've had teachers that either insist on using this method, or abhor it. The ones who insist on using it say it's best for understanding the structure of the face, as all proportions are generally the same. BUT the teachers who hate it say it tends to make all faces look very similar because one gets locked into a pattern.

That's just my humble opinion. Outside of Harry Potter fanart I do a lot of character design for game projects where the 'hard and fast' human proportions tend to be ignored in favor of stylized character design.

Kyone
Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Whenever I draw a person (even stylized, like all my art here is), I always start with a circle, draw a line down the center of the face (wherever that is), and sketch the jawline from there. I suppose it's not really necessary, but I've gotten in the habit and I think it helps you keep everything in the right place. Sketchy guidelines are wonderful things. (In my opinion, at least.) Wink